RV Curtains



No, there was simply no way I was putting the cornices back up! I considered it at one point, when I realized the true purpose for having them. That was to mount and hold the shades in place. The shades in the bedroom were in fine shape, but the shades in the living area were shabby and falling apart. The dinette shade actually looked like it had a huge coffee stain on it.

The old fabric was stapled to the existing cornices. When I studied them to consider repurposing them, I realized the fabric covered a flimsy vinyl paneling the manufacturers had used for the interior walls.


I decided instead to hang curtains. Using more of the striped material and drapery lining I had bought on sale, I made some tab back curtains for each of the five largest windows. In addition, I bought an ecru linen material for the insides of the curtains.

I found these café rods in two sizes to cover the six windows (three in living area, three in bedroom) at Menards. I had issues with drilling holes for the brackets to hang them. Rather, I was afraid to drill holes. I read someone else’s blog recommending use of command hooks to hang the rods, which I found was a brilliant idea. The rods I selected worked wonderfully for this, although I did need to hang a third hook in the center of the larger windows for added stability.


I had my hubby cut the hooks with a razor blade by scoring and snapping it like he would have a piece of plexiglass. I hung the cut center hook like this:


My hubby found a wonderful website with various instructional videos on drape and shade sewing at www.sailrite.com. I’m sure they’d love to sell you an industrial sewing machine, but their videos are extremely informative and they have many hard to get supplies you might need for sewing your own upholstery. More about them later.

Since I had no previous curtains to copy, I realized too late I made a major calculation error in the width of my drapes.

This is what I did for a 59” window:

Rounded up to 60”/4 panels= 15” each curtain (plus two inches for seam allowances)= 17” each panel.

But I forgot about multiplying by two for gathers.

So I had to add another two linen panels to fully cover the windows and factor in gathering.

The final drapes turned out okay. I’m still trying to decide whether I like them. I DO like them better than the nasty shades, but I’m still grappling with the practicality of the drapes. (I apologize for the dark photos, but the pic was extremely backlit.)


Here is the breakdown of the project:

  • 6 café rods, 3 large @$4.22, 3 small @ $2.64…$20.58
  • Wedgewood Upholstery Fabric- 3 yds @ $18.00…$54.00
  • Drapery Lining- 3 yds @ $2.99…$8.97
  • 7 yds Linen @$3.99 per yard…$27.93
  • 2- Boxes 2 lb Command Hooks, Clear (5 hooks per box) @ $8.99 each….$17.98
  • Box 2 lb Command Hooks (for center) (7 hooks per box) @ $8.99 each….$ 8.99
  • 2- packages Fabric Sticky Back Velcro dots (specifically for fabric) @$3.99…$7.98
  • Total Cost This Project…$146.43

Note: I used leftover paisley fabric for the tie backs in the living area. I used what small bits of fabric I had left for tie backs in the bedroom.

Overall, due to my miscalculations, I am the least satisfied with this portion of the project. However, the new drapes do impart a homey feel to the living and bedroom areas, and I think I will simply have to get used to the idea of closing drapes versus pulling down a shade.

Thanks for Visiting,